Barach Law Group LLC
Barach Law Group LLC

Contact Us To Schedule A Consultation

Leaders In Massachusetts Family Law

How to Enforce Child Support

On Behalf of | Feb 21, 2021 | Child Custody, Family Law, Firm News

Child support is essential in ensuring children receive the child care they need to continue to grow and thrive in the aftermath of a divorce. If your former spouse is refusing to pay child support, you should take this matter to court as soon as possible to ensure the order is enforced and you receive the funds you need to care for your children.

Enforcing the Child Support Order

Family courts take child support matters seriously and have many tools at their disposal to ensure it is enforced.

Below are some common child support enforcement tools:

  • Your ex’s wages might be deducted, ensuring you receive child support.
  • If your ex is expecting a large tax refund, this may be intercepted to cover missed child support payments.
  • Your ex’s driver’s license might be revoked.
  • Your ex may be prevented from renewing a passport.
  • Your ex may receive jail time or be charged with a fine for failing to make child support payments. It is known as “contempt of court.”

Additionally, if your former spouse lives in another state and refused to pay child support for more than a year, owes more than $5,000, or travelled out of the state or the country to avoid these payments, the U.S. Office of the Inspector General may intervene.

Such cases may result in severe penalties, including:

  • Up to 6 months in prison for a first offense
  • Up to 2 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 for a second offense or if the amount owed is more than $10,000

Reach out to an experienced family law attorney to get started on your case and ensure you receive the child support you are owed.

Schedule a Case Evaluation with a Knowledgeable Child Support Attorney Today!

If your ex-spouse stopped paying child support, you are undoubtedly in a difficult situation. The compassionate family law team at Barach Law Group LLC can provide the skilled legal guidance you need to overcome the potential obstacles you may face. We understand how important your children are to you and will do what is necessary to ensure you receive the support you need to care for your children.

Reach out to our law office today at 617-819-1805 to set up an initial case evaluation with a skilled member of our legal team to learn more about what we can do to help you during this difficult time.