A family’s life can continue to go through major changes in the aftermath of a divorce. As a result, you may have to relocate and, if you have minor children, this can profoundly complicate matters. Parents cannot simply uproot their children and move. You must either discuss the matter with your former spouse and work out a new arrangement or you can petition the court with your request if you are unable to achieve a resolution outside of court. Even if you and your ex can successfully reach a new agreement without the intervention of a judge, you will still need court approval.
Relocating with Your Children
If you cannot resolve this matter with your spouse, you should hire an experienced family law attorney to guide you through the process of petitioning the court for a relocation. When rendering a decision on this matter, a judge will examine several factors. Much like any other child-related matter, when it comes to a relocation case, such a request will only be granted if it constitutes a real benefit to the children and improves their quality of life.
Below are some circumstances in which a judge may consider allowing relocation:
- The moving parent is pursuing an educational opportunity
- The moving parent is pursuing a new job opportunity or the chance for increased income
- The moving parent is relocating to be close to extended family who can assist with child care
- The moving parent is getting remarried
- The moving parent is relocating to seek access to better medical care
A judge will also examine several factors, including:
- Any prior agreements the parents had
- The intent of the moving parent
- The strength of the bond between the children and their parents
- How much moving or staying will impact the children
- The resources and quality of life available to the children in both locations
- Depending on the age of the children, a judge may consider their preference
Discuss Your Relocation Case with an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today!
If you are planning on moving with your children, you need to hire a skilled family law attorney to guide you through each step of your case to ensure the best results. At Barach Law Group LLC, our legal team has more than 20 years of experience, which we will use to your advantage. You can rely on us to provide tailored solutions to help you achieve your unique goals.
Reach out to our law office today at 617-819-1805 to set up a consultation with a knowledgeable member of our team.