Barach Law Group LLC
Barach Law Group LLC

Contact Us To Schedule A Consultation

Leaders In Massachusetts Family Law

How Can I Modify Child Custody?

On Behalf of | Feb 2, 2020 | Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law, Firm News

The child custody arrangement you have with your former spouse may not always be in the best interests of your children years after your divorce. Life continually changes and the needs of your children will undoubtedly change, especially if they were very young at the time of your divorce. To accommodate substantial changes in the lives of divorced families, courts allow parents the opportunity to file for post-divorce modifications. Therefore, if you believe your child custody arrangement is no longer suitable, now is the time to hire an experienced attorney and get started on the process.

Modifying Your Child Custody Order

If you and your former spouse can agree on a modified custody agreement, this may save you some time, but it will still require the approval of the court. Keep in mind that all child-related decisions must serve the best interests of the children. If the new arrangement is not suitable, you may have to spend some more time negotiating until you and reach an agreement the court approves of.

That said, if you and your spouse cannot work together to modify your child custody order, you will have to petition the court. For your case to be successful, you must prove that your circumstances changed substantially and that the modification will continue to serve the best interests of the children.

Below are some examples of situations in which a judge may grant a child custody modification:

  • Your ex-spouse is not complying with the current parenting plan
  • You or your former spouse plans on relocating
  • You believe your child’s physical or mental wellbeing is in danger
  • You or your ex-spouse’s schedule changed, making it difficult to comply with the current order
  • Your former spouse was incarcerated or died

It is crucial to secure experienced legal representation as soon as possible to improve your chances of obtaining the results you need.

Discuss the Details of Your Case with One of Our Experienced Legal Advocates!

If you wish to request a modification to your child custody order, reach out to the family law team at Barach Law Group LLC for the assistance you need. With more than two decades of experience and a history of proven success, you can rest assured your post-divorce modification case will be in good hands with us.

Call our law office today at 617-819-1805 to request an initial consultation with a member of our team.