Although it may feel awkward to live with your spouse once the divorce papers are filed, for many, it is a reality and a necessity, especially if you are under some serious financial constraints. Of course, living together during this contentious time can be difficult, which is why we compiled a list of tips that may help you navigate it more easily.
Getting Through a Divorce Under the Same Roof
Living with your spouse during a divorce may not be ideal, but it can work if both parties are willing to remain civil.
Here are some tips that can help make this situation easier:
- While living under the same roof, you should continue to also maintain the household’s expenses. You can do this by either obtaining a court order or simply agreeing to an arrangement that works for both of you.
- It would also be helpful for you and your spouse to create separate living spaces. If possible, create a physical divide.
- Although household expenses should be shared, your personal expenses should be separate. If you or your spouse does not have a source of income, that spouse can request a temporary support order.
- It is generally recommended that spouses living together during a divorce keep household chores separate. However, if sharing chores, such as cooking or eating meals together helps preserve a sense of normalcy for your children, continue to share them.
- Even if you are living together during your divorce, it is essential to establish a parenting schedule that gives both you and your spouse alone time with the children. Doing so will help ease your children into the coming changes prompted by your divorce.
Living with your spouse during the divorce process may not be easy, but these tips can help make it work.
Speak to an Experienced Divorce Attorney About Your Case Today!
If you recently filed for divorce, now is the time to reach out to an experienced family law attorney to assist you with your case. At Barach Law Group LLC, our divorce attorneys are backed by more than two decades of experience. We are committed to guiding our clients through every step of their case and advising them on the best course of action. With our team on your side, you can feel confident you will receive the best possible results for your case.