Divorce is an emotional process. It can also be incredibly complex and requires accurate documentation to ensure the fairest results. Although, depending on the unique circumstances of your case, the documents you need may vary, there are some that are generally necessary for everyone to produce. Continue reading to learn more about the documents you must prepare for your divorce.
Gathering the Documents for Your Divorce
When gathering documents for your divorce, dividing them into several categories can help simplify things and keep them organized.
Consider dividing them into the following categories:
- Income-related documents
- Real estate documents
- Documents regarding any joint financial accounts
- Life insurance documents
- Pension fund documents
- Debt-related documents
- Documents for any automobiles you own
Here are some of the documents you will need:
- Paycheck stubs from all sources of income over the past three years
- Documents related to business expenses
- Copies of individual or joint tax returns for the past three years
- Mortgage statements
- Documents pertaining to the purchase of any property
- Bank statements
- Statements from any investment accounts you hold separately or jointly
- Statements for pension funds, mutual funds, 401(k) plans, or IRAs
- Titles to all vehicles you or your spouse owns jointly or individually
- A list of all unsecured, outstanding debts, such as medical bills, loans, and credit card bills
Since every couple’s situation may vary, it is crucial to consult with an experienced attorney to ensure you have all the necessary documents to proceed with your divorce.
Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Family Law Attorney to Discuss Your Case!
If you are divorcing your spouse, you will need a knowledgeable divorce attorney on your side to guide you through the process and handle the details to avoid any unnecessary delays. At Barach Law Group LLC, our family law team will provide the advice and guidance you need to navigate each step of your divorce and ensure you collect all pertinent documents. We understand the sensitive nature of such cases and will help you create tailor-made solutions to achieve your unique goals.