Ending a marriage can be difficult both emotionally and physically. In between all the stress and anxiety, it can be hard to make the right decisions for you and your family. The divorce process is complicated, so have an experienced attorney help you avoid making the wrong choices and common mistakes that other couples have made.
Here are some common mistakes that people make during their divorce:
- Forcing children to take sides: Divorce is already traumatic for children, and the last thing that kids need is for parents to make them choose a side. Remember that divorce is hard on everyone, and that children are more likely to suffer when parents continue to fight.
- Lying about assets: For some couples, we know that there is a lot at stake, especially in high net worth divorces. But it is never a good idea to hide assets or lie about bank accounts. For one, hidden assets can be traced. If a judge finds that you are hiding assets, you can ruin your credibility with the court and may end up with a less than ideal settlement.
- Using social media recklessly: Don’t take your frustrations out by posting negative things about your spouse on social media, or sharing pictures of you out partying and enjoying the “single life.” All of this can be used as evidence to portray you as an irresponsible or an unfit parent. Be smart about what you post or stay off of social media entirely until your divorce is over.
- Starting a new relationship too soon: While it is not a bad thing to start dating, moving onto a new relationship can complicate your divorce. If you are spending a lot of money on your new dating partner or one of you becomes pregnant, this can cause disputes or delays in your case.
- Forgetting about taxes: When marital property is divided and transferred to the other spouse, you must consider the tax implications and whether you need to pay taxes or fees on the newly acquired assets. Always consult an accountant or a financial expert to help you understand the financial consequences of your property division settlement.
- Hiring the wrong attorney: Some people make the mistake of hiring the most aggressive attorney out there, when all they wanted was an amicable and quick divorce. Before you hire an attorney, shop around and talk about the attorney’s experience, approach, and credentials.
Experienced Divorce Lawyers in Framingham, Ready to Guide You
At Barach Law Group LLC, we have a team of dedicated and skilled Framingham divorce attorneys who can help you avoid these common mistakes. We approach each case focused on helping you find effective solutions that make sense for your future. When you need a seasoned professional to guide you through each step of your divorce case, our team is here for you.
Give our family law office a call to discuss your divorce case.