Barach Law Group LLC, we understand how frightened a person can be prior to filing a
family law case. Whether it’s a spouse or a family member, while you had established
a loving relationship with that particular individual, the reason why
you have reached this point is because you finally had enough. Our Framingham
family law attorneys are aware that each case presents unique factors,
so these suggestions may not apply to your case. If that’s the case,
contact our firm for more information.
What to do before filing (or responding to) a family law case include:
- Do not notify them of your pending suit.
- Do not threaten the opposing party by harassing them with calls, texts,
and e-mails. This type of information can be used against you in court.
- Take down any offensive information from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram,
or any other social media sites or personal blogs. This includes alcohol/drug
use, pictures of you partying, and anything that is considered inappropriate
content can be used against you in court.
- From e-mails to personal accounts, change all your passwords.
- Avoid substance abuse at all costs.
- Don’t coach your children about what to say or involved them in litigation
- If Child Protective Services (CPS) has contacted you, cooperate with the
safety plan. However, consult with your attorney before agreeing to the terms.
- Form a safety plan if you are under threat of domestic violence and coordinate
with family or friends you can trust.
- Don’t obtain illegal evidence from the opposing party’s computer
or personal files.
- Understand that this is a significant life change. From here on out, it’s
best to follow the guidance of your family law attorney.
If you need legal assistance in starting your family law claim,
contact our firm and
schedule your free, confidential consultation today.